Domestic and Sexual Violence Response Team (DSVRT) is an organisation under Lagos state Government committed to ensuring total eradication of Sexual and Gender Based Violence in the State.
Our mission is to provide sensitive services to victims of domestic and sexual violence while promoting healthy relationships as we strive to enhance our coordinated community response to domestic and sexual violence in Lagos State and indeed in Nigeria.
DSVRT in pursuit of its vision and mission has come up with a new initiative that will benefit victims and survivors of domestic violence, which is the DSVRT “Support and Healing Group”.(SHG) SHG is a support/educational group for adult women who have survived domestic or sexual assault/abuse and are ready to explore their personal healing process, find hope and seek support in building self-esteem and exploring personal worth and value.
• Participants will reflect on the experiences that make them who they are, draw strength from their past and create their own paths to a peaceful future.
This closed, therapeutic group for female adult survivors of sexual violence who wish to overcome their trauma and move towards a place of healing and growth.
• The group aims to contribute to recovery by being a place where members can receive information, find support, and share their experiences, and, by doing so, find ways to move forward on their own healing journey.
• The curriculum would rotate every 12 weeks and include topics such as: education on sexual violence and the effects of trauma, creating plans to increase feelings of safety, self-care and techniques to cope with trauma symptoms, stages of healing, personal boundaries, healthy sexuality, and self-esteem.
• It would also be a safe place to connect and heal through creative expression. * No writing experience necessary*
Help survivors deal with feelings of low self-esteem, insecurity, loneliness, poor self-concept, low self-control, un-forgiveness and fear.
Help survivors overcome the past and achieve great things in the future.
Why is group therapy very good for survivors of domestic violence?
Benefits of Group Therapy
• Group therapy offers better benefits than individual.
Group therapies are very rewarding.
• Members get support from facilitators and other members in the group
• Group therapy provides an environment where members can practice speaking up for themselves. It helps to find one's voice.
• It helps members build up confidence in themselves. Group therapy helps you relate to others (and yourself) in healthier ways
• Group therapy helps members see that they are not the only one in the world with such a problem.
• Members have the opportunity to learn how another person coped. Other members of the group often help to come up with specific ideas for improving a difficult situation or life challenge, and they hold one another accountable along the way.
• Group therapy sessions are led by one or more psychologists with specialized training, who would teach group members proven strategies for managing specific problems.
What Should I expect?
All information about the members of the group will be guarded with utmost confidentiality.
Group therapy sessions will run once every two weeks for a minimum of 6 and maximum of 8 sessions; this will help therapists follow up on client and it gives members enough time to try out what they had recently learnt in the group.
Members will be given take home assignments which must be completed before the next session.
The group therapy promises a non-judgmental atmosphere for every member of the group.
By the end of the sessions, members with damaged self-esteem will be operating with an excellent self-concept.
Members would have leant coping skills that will make them better persons.
Members will be able to overcome feelings of insecurity
Members will be more confident of themselves.
Members would have learnt positive inter-personal and intra-personal skills.
SHG Therapy will involve one or more psychologists who will facilitate/Moderate the sessions. These are experienced psychologists who will apply eclectic psychological techniques in treatment. This includes:-
• Trauma focused psychotherapy for victims who have undergone traumatic experiences
• Cognitive behavioural therapy for low self-esteem, anger management, self -control etc
• Forgiveness therapy for self-healing and relationship problems
• Mindfulness therapy for maladaptive behaviours
• Solution focused therapy used to help clients focus on solutions to their problems and equip clients with coping skills to face challenges in future
• General counselling